Monday, March 23, 2015

Part Two: Let's Dance!

I know it's been weeks since my little girl tied the knot but I still need to write about it. To be fair, I haven't just been slacking off during these weeks.

Sir Spencer decided to remind us all why we call ourselves the Crisis Center. He's been working construction and took a nail to his knee while holding a truss in place. (Read: entire day seeking medical attention!) The next day he decided that life couldn't go on without him and supported his siblings at an all day ballroom competition and then went on his first date in two years. Let's just say I was taking care of a very swollen, sore, frustrated, not medicated enough son well into that night.

I also had the privilege of attending a first ever retreat with my sisters. Even though I was reluctant to leave my family with so much "stuff" undone, I am so grateful that I traded that stuff (some of which was really good) for something even better. I don't think we've ever enjoyed an uninterrupted conversation together, let alone until 4:00 in the morning.

I have the attention span of a gnat, so I don't watch movies very often. When my sisters found out that I had never seen Mama Mia they were determined. They delighted with watching me experience it for the first time but I had the better time listening to them sing and dance. Who knew flashy pants and Elvis suits could be so much fun? Cannonballs onto the bed has its merits, too. (Don't tell the Little People I said that.)

At any rate, I love my sisters even more than ever and feel like we have a renewed bond.

But now it's time to finish my story.

Just ten days after Elder Crosgrove returned from serving a two year mission, our beautiful Miss Nichole was married to my now favorite son-in-law, Ammon.





There are so many things that I want to remember. I wish I could have written them down sooner. I hope I can still catch some of the essence of how special this day really was.

As much as I stressed over all the obstacles that came up while making Miss Nichole's dress, I am very grateful I had the opportunity to do so. Much of the lace in the bodice had to be stitched in place while she was wearing it. What a wonderful excuse to have those last precious moments with her before she went off and became her own woman. She still had a lot of planning to do with Sir Ammon but she didn't want him to see her dress. They solved that problem by him turning his back or covering his eyes while they talked. They are both really mature in their thinking and the way they handle responsibility....but it still makes me smile when I think of him sitting there like a little boy playing peek-a-boo to make her happy.

The day before the wedding, my sweetheart gathered up our boys and set out to transform our church's cultural hall (gym) into a spectacular reception venue. He spent hours hanging wire and lights from the ceiling. I guess he's just like Ammon. He will still do anything to make me happy.



The origami swans were Sir Ammon's idea. He insisted that in Japan the mother of the bride folds 2000 swans as a gift of admiration to her new son. It was a sad day when I had to burst his bubble and inform him that I am not Japanese. I did help fold a few of them. This little deal might actually become one of our family traditions. It was a brilliant way to get the whole family involved, especially the younger children, and they were beautiful!

Miss Nichole earned her wish to be married in the temple. It was such a sacred experience. I'll keep the best close to my heart but feel I need to share some thoughts from my perspective.

After all the planning, decision making, and hard work to put a wedding together, I found myself at the temple, alone for a few minutes with my sweet daughter all dressed in white, and it was very clear to me that none of the hullaballoo was even needed. She was where she needed to be, about to make promises that would bring her joy for eternity. Everything else was just extra. Wonderful.....but extra still the same.

I thought I would be a crying mess. I tend to do that. I was surprised at how calm I felt. Everything just seemed be just as it should be. It was so natural that she should be married and happy and my heart filled with joy that they were finished with the good-byes at the end of a date and on to forevers together.

Enough of the sappy stuff.

Let's talk party!!!!



















My one wish for the reception was that everyone would feel our love for them and that there would be lots of dancing and laughter. I was overwhelmingly granted that wish. I couldn't believe how many of our friends and family came to support us.

One of my favorite things to remember will be dancing with my sweetheart. It's a pretty powerful moment when you realize you are dancing in the same spot you danced 24 years earlier as the bride and groom yourselves. It's hard to believe, but we're so much more in love now than we ever thought possible back then. Our dancing has improved slightly, too!



At the end of the evening, when it was time to say good-bye to the newlyweds, I took my little girl in my arms and danced with her one more time. (We took the opportunity to have a lovely waltz together the night before.) I can't post a picture of that because I really do look like a crying mess, and I won't tell you all that I said to her, but I will re-iterate some things.

I am so proud of her. I am so grateful that she has lived her life in a way that I can look up to her. I am so proud of her for being true to herself and her ideals. I couldn't ask for a better example for the rest of my daughters to look up to......




.....and I couldn't think of a better man for her to be happily ever after with.











photo credit: Brianna May Photography, Alex Trujillo, Keiko Foote




No comments:

Post a Comment