Monday, August 4, 2014

Moving Mountains



 "How do you do it?!?!?!" I get that a lot. I'm not sure exactly what is meant by that. I usually answer with some sort of sarcasm or reassure the woman (it is usually a woman who makes this comment) that I don't do as much as they think I do. But I always wish there were more time to give an in depth reply.

When I was younger I didn't want a mega family. I am the seventh of 12 children, my father is the third of twelve children, and my mother is the seventh of thirteen children. I watched the women in my life. I saw first hand how much work they did. I viewed with my own eyes the emotional grit required to be at the helm of such a large ship. They each had their own way of running a household....and none of those ways looked easy. I knew for a fact that I wasn't up for it.

Yet here I am. The Mama. The captain of my own destiny and I'm at the helm of a freighter, not a canoe. And I know how I got here. (And yes, I know where children come from...get asked that a lot, too.)

I've learned a couple of things over the years about emotional grit and about myself. I am amazing. And so is every other woman out there. I can do hard things. I can make mistakes and learn from them. I can get things right now and then and accept sincere praise when it comes.

I can recognize all that I have accomplished today and be good with it. And if I need to let go of all the things I didn't get accomplished today I can and I will.

The laundry pile seems to grow right along with our family. At one point, when we had three or four little ones, I felt it such an achievement to be caught up with the wash that I marched around the house blowing my imaginary trumpet and at the top of my lungs sang, "Hail the Conquering Hero!" This became a tradition and once a week or so I could be heard singing and marching proudly.

Then as more children blessed our home, the conquering occurred twice a month. And then a few times a year. And then.....well let's just say the hero hasn't marched since 2008. Man, that was more difficult to admit than it should have been.

But this week I found myself in an unusual place. I have had four really good nights of sleep this month, which is more than I had all of last decade. I woke up rested, not sick, and ready to pick up a few of the things that I have had to let go of since forever. I decided it was high time to march again.

I was able to put all else on hold and I washed. Not just the normal 4 or 8 loads a day. I washed from the time I got up til the time I went to bed, determined that the walls would be resounding with imaginary bugles before sundown the next day.

But the next day brought little boys that needed a ride to Cub Scouts, friends that needed a shoulder, a cross baby getting her first tooth, a migraine, drivers ed, ripened green beans, a sweet mother that actually asked for some help (almost never happens), the dog was sick in the basement, a parade, boys high on parade candy, and of course the ballroom team had costumes that were in need of help.

But I persevered.

By evening I had just two more loads. Watch out world, I'm coming back!

And then I went in to my bedroom. Sir Harley had fallen asleep on my perfectly made bed. Clean sheets. Clean blankets. Wet Harley. Two more loads of laundry.

The next day was a family reunion. I had a choice. I could visit with my siblings, some that I see once every three or four years, or become once again the Conquering Hero.

It was a lovely reunion.

So I didn't get to sing. I'm a bit bummed. Some of my children haven't lived long enough to see that side of me. But it's there just the same. I am still amazing. I can look at what I did get accomplished and be okay with it.

The next time I get asked, "How do you do it?" I'm going to be honest. I do my best every day. And then I go to bed tired and pray that He will make up the rest. And someday, if I am really lucky, I might just march down the entire street blowing my imaginary bugle.

2 comments:

  1. I just love you Julie!! And can I relate w/the laundry thing. I say next time you divide your mountains and let each of your friends take one. We can bring it back to you and it will be like magically stretching time. There would be enough hours in the day for all that laundry to get done. Let's see if you can let that happen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you chose the reunion! Thank you for the great example you set. You remind me that the one that means the most loves me in my failures and successes, and both are valuable! I sincerely hope it is not so long before we see you all again!!!

    ReplyDelete