Sunday, July 13, 2014

Conquering the Beasts

This week I went to Girl's Camp with 26 beautiful, fun, unique, and spirited young women. We hiked mountains, explored caves, rappelled off cliffs, played pirates in canoes, tied knots, Geo-cached for chocolate, and went surfing on one very large (and kissable) sea turtle. My favorite? Talking for hours with some of these amazing almost women about life and all it offers. I found myself silently thanking God for every difficult thing I have ever experienced. Thankful that I have been learning and not just enduring. I drew on the hard times of my life for wisdom, guidance, and empathy. I hope I left those precious girls feeling strong and empowered to work towards all the awesomeness that their loving Heavenly Father has waiting for them.
The last time I went to Girl's Camp was nearly ten years ago. I was afterwards admonished that I should be one WITH the girls, not one OF the girls. I hope I have changed a bit since then. I hope I haven't changed too much.

2 comments:

  1. I remember you at that girls' camp ten years ago. You were great. You helped them learn about praying when car keys were lost. We miss you.
    Danielle Taylor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad we've found each other again! I am especially happy that you remember the lost keys incident. There was so much more to that story than what I could share with our Young Women at the time. I was taught a very powerful lesson and given a great reminder that God knows which direction every blade of grass sways and all the minute details of our lives. Perhaps someday I'll feel like I can share the rest of that story.
      Way to go on the running! What an awesome family to be a part of!

      Delete