Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Missionary Man






I don't think it was a cosmic coincidence that our two oldest children left home on the same day. As Steve and I dropped Hermana Nichole and Elder Spencer off at the Missionary Training Center and drove away I felt strange, like we were empty-nesters.  I was 5 months pregnant and there were 10 other children at home, but I just knew our home would never be the same. It hasn't been. Every precious soul changes the dynamics of our family. Every one. They each have gifts and strengths that are uniquely individual. They each have challenges that only they can learn from.

As a mom, baking cookies, washing clothes, and educating their eager minds fill my days. But as a mother I know my real job is to be a constant reminder to them of their infinite worth and potential.

I've only had three conversations with Elder Crosgrove in the past 17 months. Christmas and Mother's Day. Mission rules. I wonder that he is becoming a man and perhaps I'm missing it. But then I get letters like the one I had yesterday and I know that he is not becoming a man without his mama. He is becoming a man of God and I get to have a front row seat. He's not perfect, none of us are, but he's definitely headed in the right direction. And judging by the pics, I know that he still has a beautiful sense of humor and his ability to love without judgement has been magnified.

No comments:

Post a Comment