Monday, June 9, 2014

The Name

There aren't too many words that go with Crosgrove. I think my limited choices are "Crazy" or "Crisis". I decided not to state the obvious and went with "Crisis". We've been referring to ourselves as such for years now. I think it started the summer we spent four weekends in a row at the E.R. with Spencer. And since there is usually something that resembles a crisis unfolding at our home, it stayed.
Occasionally I wish we could be normal for a minute. Perhaps we could be like our friends, the "Harris Happy Household" or something. We're just asking for trouble, aren't we? But recently I had an epiphany.
A big one. Life changing big.
I received a phone call from the Hope Crisis Center in Texas. My daughter Nichole was doing service work there and one Miss Patsy found out that my little girl can sing. Miss Patsy was calling me to ask for sheet music. Nichole's voice had been an instrument to brighten their lives and start their days off on a happy note. That's when I started thinking about the purpose of a crisis center. People that have been battered by all that life throws at them go there for shelter, for a respite from the storms. They go there for love and support, to find help and friendship without judgement. I would think that in most crisis centers, those that find themselves there eventually want to give back, to be a part of something bigger than themselves.  They want opportunities to learn and grow and better themselves.
And then it hit. Isn't that what I want my home to be?
I think I'll keep the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment